IT"S OFFICIAL!!! He's in the MTC!
Jake was set apart as a missionary last night at our home by our Stake President, Pres. Nielson. It was a very tender time and Robert, Bob and Alan were all in the circle with Pres. Nielson. We talked about our missions and how we felt and the Spirit in our home was good.
Today, we dropped him off at the MTC at 1:00. Bob jumped in our car before we entered the gate and we were guided to a spot at the curb to drop him off. It really wasn't as bad as we had heard. There missionaries everywhere, all helping the new guys get their luggage and guide them to where they needed to go. It was wonderful. We had a chance to hug and to say a couple of "I love you's" and then he was on his way. He was a little scared, but he was ready. I love this picture of him. It makes my heart feel good.
I really don't know how I feel right now. I have a mixture of sadness because I'm going to miss the heck out of him, but most of all I feel peace. I know he's in the right place for him and for all of us, for that matter. He is leaving our home for two years to serve the Lord. What more could you want for your son?
I mentioned last night that I feel that it's fitting that he leaves during the Christmas season. He and I both love Christmas, but for me, it's my only son and I feel kind of like I'm giving him to the Lord. This is going to be one of my favorite Christmas' because having a son serve a mission puts things in to perspective. I'm reminded what the true meaning of Christmas really is.
Jake is a pure and tender young man whom I know will return to us having learned the things that will turn him into a man. He is prepared mentally and physically and emotionally. He is ready. The rest of us maybe not so much!
I know Jessi has had a really tough time today, Kayci wants to have free access to the Xbox. (No, I think she is going to miss him in her own little way!) Regardless, Jake knows that he is loved, and that all of us are thinking of him and praying for him and we are excited for the countdown to December of 2012!
Until then, I know that he is in God's hands and that is a wonderful place to be.
... and off he goes... Elder Monster Man, I mean, Elder Lynam!