Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I'm not loving Thanksgiving this year.  It marks the 21 days until Jake leaves.  Three weeks from today.  It really hit me as I was cleaning house this morning and as soon as he came in the kitchen I gave him a huge hug.  I showed him the count down on the calendar and he said, "Sweet!"

I'm trying to be positive and upbeat and all the other "sunshine stuff" you're supposed to do as a mom.  But for now, my heart hurts.  I know so many people who have done this, and so many more yet to come, but today it's me, and I'm sad.  I'm just a tad selfish here as well.  I will miss Jake's sense of humor.  He always makes us laugh.  He says the funniest, off the wall things and makes the craziest off the wall noises and gestures.  The house is really going to be quiet.

It will be hard sharing him for two years with the people of Washington, but they will be better for having known my son.  He is a gift.  And for that I really am thankful.