Wednesday, June 15, 2011

June 15, 2011
6 months and counting!!!!  Yeah!

So, my Elder Monser Man has been out for 6 months and to be honest, my feelings are all over the map.  You can be assured that at any moment of any day my thoughts are with my missionary.  I can go from happy to sad, from worried to elated... and that's just within a 30 second period!  This REALLY is a whirlwind event for a mom.  But then again, I am so grateful to have him where he is.
Yes, the "mystery person" did come by.  His ward mission leader, Brad Bigler.  He actually caught me in the middle of a delivery so I didn't actually get to meet him, but I did enjoy a nice conversation on the phone.
Brad told me that Jake had written me a letter and that he dropped it in the mail since we couldn't get together this time.  He said he'd be back in Salt Lake later this month so he'll try to stop by then.  I'm excited to meet him and give my son a "hug by proxy" (that's legal, isn't it?!!!!)  Brad also told me that their ward hasn't been the same since Jake got to the area.  He said that his enthusiasm for the work is contagious and their ward is excited to be involved.  He has a ton of surrogate moms taking care of him and he's got a testimony of the gospel that is undeniable.  WOW!!!!  My little monser man?  really?  I know that he's super perfect and all, but REALLY????
Brad also told me that it is "absolutely unheard of" for anyone to be called to be a senior companion and trainer at 4 months out.  He said, especially with this Mission President.  This is a highly unusual calling for an elder. 
Actually, that doesn't surprise me at all.  Jake has a goodness about him that is contagious.  He loves people and he loves the Lord.  He really does have a testimony and he's just a great young man.  (With, of course, epic skillzzzzzz!) 
I have actually learned so much while he has been out.  My testimony has been strengthened by the members of the ward that have taken in my son and helped him, fed him and then sent me messages about his well being.  That has meant so much to me as a mother.  I have vowed to do the same for the missionaries serving out here.  Feed them, help them accomplish their goals as a missionary and then send the occasional notes to their moms to let them know how their missionary is doing.  We are all a part of a world wide Church trying to accomplish the same goal...strengthening our faith.  The Church is true and our missionaries are on the front lines in this great task ahead of them.
Also, my own scripture study has become more powerful because of Jake.  I have prayed harder, dug deeper, and listened to the Spirit more as I write him each week.  I understand the dificulty that he may be having when it comes to being away from home and then having the eternal "ground hog day" of a mission in front of you.  This is where it started to get hard for me on my mission.  The newness has worn off and the other missionaries you have come to love are going home.  You have alot more mission ahead of you than you do behind you, and it's kind of just more of the same every day. 
This last letter I wrote to Jake was one that I especially was prayerful in writing.  I tried to explain that a "love" for the people doesn't mean that you need to be BFF's or want to marry them.  It just means that you care about others, that you really do desire the goodness of the Gospel to bless their lives and bring them peace.
Also, that "loving the work", just means that you are committed.  It doesn't mean that you are supposed to be happy and running joyfully about 24/7.  There are times when you're discouraged, there are times when you're tired, there are times when the Spirit is with you more than others.  We, as humans, aren't supposed to feel ANY emotion 24/7.  That's what makes us human.  (these comments, by the way, are responses to a personal letter I got from Jake... probably won't be posting it on the blog!)
A mission is a very difficult thing.  That's what makes us grow.  Especially when Jake has been called to be a senior companion and trainer at such a "greenie" stage himself.  I know my Elder Monser Man.  He is really not used to the limelight.  He is full of joy and laughter, and very happy to let others take the spotlight and be so happy for them. 
I made a book for him when he gradated from high school that had the quote, "We can't all be heroes. Somebody has to stand on the curb and applaud as the parade goes by.”  Jake has always been happy to be the one applauding.

Maybe this experience will help him be the "hero".  It's totally out of his comfort zone, but isn't that what this life is about?